Wednesday 6 February 2019

FOOTBALL HISTORY: "My Debt to Johnny Warren's Coaching Book", by Henry Dyer (Nadi / Fiji rep), 2015.

I think it was my grandfather who gave me the Johnny Warren soccer coaching book. He saw that I had the talent to do well in soccer. This was during my early days at high-school. I remember I had the book in my drawer. I would only look at it as a gift from my grandpa. It just happened that, when I made the Nadi team, I heard more about Johnny Warren from Bobby Tikaram [Nadi vice-president]. I heard about his coaching skills and what he had done for Nadi Soccer back then. He lifted Nadi to a different level in soccer. He was an invited technical adviser. Bobby invited him to come over here. This would have been in the mid- to late-1970s. So, all along, I had this Johnny Warren book lying down in my drawer. Bobby told me that Johnny Warren had done a tremendous job in lifting the performance of the Nadi team then. For myself, as a club member of Airport Soccer Club, I took this information very seriously and I went back to the book. I thought if Bobby is the man who brought Johnny to Nadi Soccer than I am talking to the coach of Pele. I was thinking in my imagination that it is like talking to Pele’s coach. I thought I must go back to the book and see what is in there.
Savenaca Waqa (left) and Henry Dyer, 27 August 2015.
I really started learning the basics of controlling the ball; doing the wall-pass; cushioning it on your in-step to get the feel of the ball; and doing the corner kicks. I would practice in the backyard. I practiced kicking the ball through two narrow posts. I tried to master all types of kicks. I eventually happened to improve my skills in all these areas so that I could use them in a match. I would say that Johnny Warren’s book was like a mentor to me in all aspects of the game and it enabled me to improve my techniques in many areas. In my early days playing for Nadi, I would get a tap on my back and this was my Phys Ed teacher from Ba Provincial Secondary School (Master Gajend Prasad). He would comment and say: “It is amazing and I am very happy to see that you are doing great as a former student of Ba Provincial.”
As the years went by I started to think that my success was more due to the book than due to my own talents. I managed to pick up the various skills from the book quickly. At first I had thought that Bobby had given me book but it was my grandfather.  I remember now that I had the book in my drawer during my school days at high-school (Ba Provincial Secondary School). However, the funny thing is that while at school I did not believe that I would become one of the known soccer players of Fiji. I did not share the book with anyone. It was like a gift. I did not show it to anyone. I would go over the diagrams about free-kicks, etc., and then I would just put it back in the drawer. I did not know that it was inspiring me all along. I give respect to my grandfather because it was he who indirectly inspired me to put a bit more effort into training and to make use of the book. While gelling with the matured players of the Nadi team then I did not realize or take into consideration that these stars had been coached by Johnny Warren himself. The Fijian boys do not talk about these kinds of things. They are very quiet unless you question them.
Nadi legends H. Dyer / Vivekanand ‘Boy’ Reddy.
It was only after Bobby had been talking to us (Kieran James and me) about this book that I started to remember the Johnny Warren book. I had been thinking that I had made myself a star. However, part of it was because of Johnny Warren’s book and also due to my team-mates in the Nadi team. I must give full recognition to all of the Nadi boys from that era because we had a very strong team. Anyone who was selected in the team was treated like a family member and he was given space to move around in. It was made so easy for him to spark. Back then the core of the Nadi team or the regular players stood out in front of the crowd and any new player who tried out or who came on as substitute was very fortunate to have that opportunity. It gave the new guy the chance to fully develop and excel. I always give respect to the Nadi squad of those years, Johnny Warren himself, and the administration that we were able to play in that sort of positive environment. The good thing about that time was that you would have someone on the field telling you what to do and whether to go on the left or the right or the front or the middle or the back. That gave us the confidence to go out and perform better. I hope that this can be repeated in the current environment in Nadi and in Fiji.
Some specific skills I learned from the book were: cushioning the ball and getting the feel of the ball, on your feet and on your head. I also learnt how to get the ball away to my team-mates especially when I was in a duel in the air. Rudi Gutendorf said that if we can win in the air then we can control the ground action as well. Both of these two coaches place the same emphasis upon combating your opponent in the air first and foremost. They believe that whoever controls the aerial space also controls the ground because psychologically you have beaten him first in the warfare in the air. When he is on the ground he is already down. It takes him time to recover. By this time you are running circles around him. So if the eleven players are beaten in the aerial battles you have achieved half of the task of winning the game. Even if you beat six or seven of them in the air (the key players) then that is it and you have controlled the game.
I believe that soccer is a game where you have to get aggressive and defensive and have got to be aggressive above all. In modern-day soccer (if you watch the English soccer or soccer from around the world, for example) you will see that they use all these tactics and they are very aggressive and defensive. So I would say that to master the skills to play the game better you have to put a lot of time into training. You have to do tactical skills, tactical play, and stamina training (meaning endurance tests). I would say that any top player would have gone through these experiences. To become a better player you have to put in your individual effort. I know of some of my club-mates (even my primary-school mates and high-school mates) who were very talented, classy, and skilful and they would have become better players than me but I see that they did not have a personal goal to push themselves into strenuous training. Otherwise they could have been somebody else today. I would say that it takes hard work and effort to get to the top in anything in life. I only wish that I could have personally met Johnny Warren during my soccer career or after. The same applies to Rudi Gutendorf. He is a very old man (as at 6 February 2019). I wish I had been able to meet him again after the conclusion of my soccer career. I read that Rudi Gutendorf holds the record of coaching the most national teams.
[By the former Fiji national team player Henry Dyer, as told to Dr Kieran James of University of Fiji in Nadi, 25 March 2015.]

No comments:

Post a Comment