Tuesday 22 February 2022

NEW INTERVIEW: Our interview with Semi Tabaiwalu, Part II (first time published), 20 June 2015, Ba Central Club

Interview with Semi Tabaiwalu (Ba and Fiji Legend) Part II

Saturday, 20 June 2015 @ Ba River and Ba Central Club. This is the section from Ba Central Club.

By: Henry Dyer (Nadi Legends Club) and Kieran James (University of Fiji)

Kieran James: It seems so fluky, the 1982 IDC penalty shootout that neither side could win; it was like that was a destiny.

Semi Tabaiwalu: In the 1978 IDC in Lautoka, we played the first game against Labasa, we lost 4-0.

Henry Dyer: And then?

Semi: We came back towards Ba to the camp. We reached camp and Jone Nakosia (our sweeper) said something was given to him by C.P. Patel (the owner of C.P. Patel). Then Jone Nakosia said: “what I have done is wrong, I did not inform the boys that something was given to me which was to do with black magic.” We cleared that out in the Fijian traditional cultural protocol. C.P. Patel wanted us to win and the black magic did not work. We won all the other games heading up to the final. Then we met Labasa again in the final. There was a penalty shootout.

Henry: I remember that game, man. I watched that game. Everyone was cheering for Labasa. I was schooling at Ba Provincial Secondary School. I was 16-years-old.

Semi: I was the deciding penalty kicker. We had our referee from England, Peter Eaton, but he was a linesman that day. Ba team always wanted him to referee their game. He came over to me and said: “If you kick this, you will take the trophy back to Ba.” He was from England, but his favourite team was Ba. I kicked it and I scored it, we won that game.

Henry: So Peter Eaton encouraged Semi to make Ba win with confidence.

Semi: We won that tournament, 1978. That was the best team that Ba had in that era. In 1979 in Nausori we won against Nadi 2-1 in the final. [Note: Semi said 1-0 but it was 2-1.]

Henry: Did you know about the Veterans’ Dinner organized by Fiji Football? [Note: this was held in October 2014 in Nadi.]

Semi: No, I did not know about it, I was not given a ticket. After it happened, someone mentioned that something was happening in Nadi around the veterans’ tournament.

Henry: He found out after the tournament had happened. Joe Basudra and Lote [Delai] (they had been at the function after match) were there, so why were you not there? They were younger players, after your time.

Semi: I was not informed until I learnt from somebody later on.

Henry: Inia Bola mentioned that he got an invitation. Do you think it is fair that he goes without your knowledge?

Semi: For me, it’s OK. I have nothing to lose. Inia and me we are the same. But the question is why nobody ever told me.

Semi: My son played for Ba, Fiji, and SPG gold medal [South Pacific Games]. He says: “Dad, I beat you.” I always say: “No, you only beat me when I tell you.” So his mama was telling me “we beat you” and I always tell my wife “no, not yet”.

Henry: This means that Semi is talking with experience and wisdom.

Semi: When I was in charge of Ba team for four years, it was all about discipline. If they don’t listen to me, I kick them out.

Henry: Don’t say “kicked them out”, say “drop them” [laughs].

Semi: Even the classic players I threw out such as Junior Buka Lidit, Peni Finau. There are so many others.

Henry: It was his strategy to keep disciplining the team.

Henry: The Indians, they have the power, they manipulate, they have the monopoly. Regardless of your experience or ability, when they say “time”, then your time ends there. Because they control the game. [Note: This is a comment about Semi Tabaiwulu being pushed out of his Ba manager job by Ba officials despite his strong track record.]

Semi: When we won the IDC six years in a row, we used to say to each other “do it for the supporters”. Ten or more buses went down from Ba to Suva for the finals. We used to always get free beers here at the Central Club and even discounts at shops and free bus fares within Ba.  So we were all repaid in other ways. Now the players don’t mix with the public. They buy their beers and go and hide them somewhere.

Semi: You cannot be one leg only. Our coach, S.M. Singh, was very much against one-leg players. If you were one leg, you were out of the squad.

Semi: After the SPG, Mike Everett said he wanted to take [Joe] Tubuna to England and make money. We lost 1-0 against Tahiti.

KJ: The same score as in 1983.

Henry: Yes. From what he saw, Mike Everett thought Joe had the skills to make it big time in England. Mike just mentioned this, but nothing was done about it, either by Mike or Fiji FA. It shows that the talent of the Fiji soccer boys remained …

KJ: Unmined. [Note: This was probably a reference to Vatukoula gold mine just being down the road from our then location at Ba Central Club.]

Henry: Right, … unmined.

Semi: Fiji Soccer should have encouraged the talented players to go overseas, just as Fiji Rugby is doing today.

Henry: Yes, yes. James, this is the same thing as I mentioned to you earlier. It is a pity that we have failed to give opportunity to a lot of talent, which would have been a big advantage to Fiji FA today and to the districts. It is a pity that soccer is not heading in the right direction.

Semi: The game here is now characterized by individual play. If I have the ball inside the box now, I just want to score. But, in our day, we would put the ball out. They want their name up in lights.

Semi: Rudi said when I retired, I could become a good coach. That is what he told me, Rudi Gutendorf.

Henry: Of course, because Rudi had heard of his experience. But, when you come to think about it, Fiji Football still didn’t adhere to this.

Semi: They will never. Two months after SPG, Fiji Football gave you a shield for Best [note: I can’t read the next word here from my notes] Player in SPG. I got a shock. This was before Rudi left. He told me: “you are going to become a good coach.” Before, in the national team, we would share shoes or trousers to anyone who had the need, even the underwear, we cared for each other.

[Note: We stayed for a long time drinking in Ba Central Club that Saturday evening, after the interview began in the afternoon at Ba river, but my notes end here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment